Thursday, February 19, 2009

It's Finally Done... & It Begins

On January 29th, 2009 I finally had my gastric bypass surgery. I was in a lot of pain that day and for a couple of days after but then things got better quick. 6 days after the surgery I was walking about 2 miles a day over 2-3 sessions throughout the day. A week after the surgery I walked 2 miles in one shot but that was too much and I got dehydrated and ended up in bed for the afternoon. I just can't drink enough water yet to offset that much sweating.

Which brings me to the 2nd part of the header. I knew the surgery was going to be a radical change for my diet and I read and studied everything I could get my hands on but it doesn't sink in until you are looking at a 2 oz serving. A 4 oz yogurt is breakfast for 2 days. I can't finish 1 large egg scrambled. I'm nowhere near consuming the 64-96 oz of water or 70 g of protein that are my daily goals. And I'm never hungry. I skip meals simply because the idea of eating the 2 oz makes me sick. This should get better over time but I'm afraid of slipping into malnutrition. I do take 4 chewable vitamins most days and probably get about 30-35 g of protein a day.

My doctor seems happy with everything. 12 days after my surgery I had lost 41 lbs and felt great. 3 weeks after my surgery I'm back at work and things are falling into a routine. I walk 1-1.5 miles at lunch around the campus. I need to punch more holes in my belt because I'm on the last hole. My wife wants to get new pants for me but I'm holding off until I make a significant change in the weight because I don't want to have to buy new pants every month.

I am excited to see what I will look like in 6 months and a year from now. I am also looking forward to being able to fit into theatre seats and in the rides at Disneyland. I hope to be able to keep up with my daughter and enjoy more time with her at the park and doing more physical things which she enjoys. She loves to run, jump, and play and that's been hard for me. It's been a hard change but it should get easier and it will definitely be worth it.

No comments: