Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Yeah for me!

I started dieting and keeping a food journal on February 7th of this year. My first official weight was taken on February 11th and I weighed in at 506 lbs. Two months later on April 14th I weighed in at 460 lbs. I've lost 46 lbs in two months. Woo hoo!

I'm a long way from done and I've learned a lot about how I think and feel about food. The big thing was to realize that I'm like an addict trying to kick a habit. It would, and sometimes still does, make me angry when I cannot eat what I want to when I want to. I mean I get really angry and nasty sometimes. Realizing that and being able to step back and focus those energies in different directions is a lesson I'm still learning but putting a lot of work into.

A big part of the lesson is not investing my personal happiness in eating. I viewed eating as a reward and treat and I have to reduce how much I value that as a reward. I haven't cut it out completely but I do try to be smart about it. Cold Stone Creamery has a sugar-free, fat-free sweet cream that can be mixed with anything and the largest size is 330 calories before the mix-in. I still think of this as a treat but have been limiting having this treat to one to two times a month.

I eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch five to six days a week, typically two packets of Quaker Weight Control instant oatmeal (320 calories) for breakfast and two ham & swiss sandwiches, 6 oz baby carrots, and fruit (535-605 calories depending on fruit) for lunch. Dinner is where I get my dietary variety and it tends to be my calorie-heavy meal. My daily intake varies from 1,650-2,050 and I try to keep the average for the week under 2,000 a day.

This work is all in preparation for having Bariatric surgery. That will be a major, life-changing event. I am working hard to get ready for this and I'll have about a year or so to lose as much weight as I can before my body starts to normalize itself after the surgery. So far, so good.

2 comments:

Astrodon Johnstoni said...

Congrats on the progress! Probably see you at Coldstone some time. We can walk to it, so for us it's a good inducement to get some walking in, and of course we feel like we "deserve" our treat by the time we get there, though I don't think the math exactly works out.

Bucky said...

Actually, you'd be surprised. I calculate calories burned by using this online link: http://dftools.ivillage.com/healthtools/calc_cb.cfm

Based on my current weight, walking for 30 minutes at 2.5 miles per hour burns 313 calories. So walking from my house to Cold Stone and back would actually burn close to double the amount of calories I would consume.